Friday, June 22, 2012

The Little Things





The other day was a long day. In the middle of the longest stretch of the day, Kate heard the ice cream truck. Luckily, I had some cash in my wallet. The ice cream truck was hailed and the ice creams were picked out, a Bratz and Bugs Bunny popsicle respectively. We sat on the porch and they enjoyed their little slices of heaven and I thought of two things. 

First, what is the adult equivalent of an ice cream truck? Something that comes along and makes everything a little bit happier. The music alone conjures up so much excitement. Wouldn't it be nice if there was an Outback cheese fries truck that came around or a really good fountain drink truck that served Mountain Dews with that perfect amount of carbonation?

Anyway, that was my first thought, and my second thought came with a little pit in my stomach. I was thinking of my childhood days on Santee Ct when the ice cream truck would come by, it was before the days of the tatted, one armed ice cream man that we were discouraged to buy ice cream from. I can remember so many parts of my childhood on that street and I was only 5 years old, which made me think "Uh oh," Kate is probably starting to remember her childhood, followed by the realization that comes to me from time to time that my kids are having their childhood right now. It's up to me to make sure that their memories are happy ones and have some nostalgia to them. What will they remember? Anyway, this was a random thoughts by Laura post.

Also, I wanted to point out that the day after the ER visit Sam hit Kate in the face with a book, hence the scratches between her eyes. It really stressed Ryan out because when he was little he cracked his head open twice on back to back days. Which would be a good story to share some other time. These two are shaping up to be a dangerous duo. 
Brothers and Sisters...

No comments: